a little thing I like to call "Chicken Pot Pie"
get. in. my. belly.
I made this for dinner tonight. I have fallen in love with chicken pot pie ever since I tried this one. I think of Little House on the Prairie when I think of chicken pot pie. Of course they ate that for dinner every night back then and had porridge for breakfast. But I don't care, this is good!
I would love to claim it as my own recipe, but it really just happened to be for dinner one night I was babysitting a few years ago. Begged the mom for the recipe. And here we are.
Everyone I have ever made it for has loved it. So here it is- try it out. I don't think you'll be let down. If you are, you have bad tastebuds.
1 box refrigerated pie crust for 9 inch double crust
¼ cup butter
1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon instant minced onion or 1/4 cup fresh minced onion
¼ teaspoon pepper
1½ cups water
¾ cup milk
3 cubes chicken bouillon
2 cups chicken, cooked and diced
12 oz. frozen mixed vegetables
1. Heat oven to 425˚.
2. Lay bottom pie crust in bottom of pie plate.
3. In large saucepan melt butter, stir in flour, onion and pepper – blend well.
4. Add water, milk and bouillon cubes.
5. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly until bouillon cubes are dissolved.
6. Add frozen veggies, stir until thawed.
7. Stir in cooked chicken, cook until hot. (add milk if the mixture looks too thick).
8. Pour filling into pie crust.
9. Place top crust over filling, fold top edge over bottom, cut slits in top crust.
10. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.
(Put a cookie sheet underneath in case it bubbles over)
Let set for 15 minutes before serving.